Below in the present day’s manufacturing and market setting, the hassle to maximise manufacturing yield, scale back price, and guarantee product reliability is turning into more and more crucial to an organization’s competitiveness. Contemplating the brand new and anticipated developments in packaging and meeting and with the purpose of reaching excessive yield and reliability in thoughts, the “how-to” stop prevailing manufacturing defects and product failures and to make sure the solder joint reliability by understanding and prevention of potential causes is a necessity.
Dr Hwang leverages a long time of in depth real-world experiences and deep and complete information to deal with “Solder Joint Reliability” (PD16) on Sunday, January 22 from 12:00PM-3:00PM; and “Stopping Manufacturing Defects and Product Failure” (PD35) on Monday, January 23 from 1:30PM to 4:30PM at IPC APEX to be held on the San Diego Convention Middle.
Sunday, January 22, 2023 – 12:00PM-3:00PM
PDC16: “Solder Joint Reliability – Precept and Follow”
The reliability of solder joint interconnections in chip degree, packaging degree and board-level is essential to the end-use product reliability – when a single one solder joint fails, the product fails. Because the variety of solder interconnections continues to extend and the quantity of every solder interconnection continues to turn out to be smaller, the assured solder joint integrity is paramount.
Emphasizing on sensible, working information, but balanced and substantiated with science, the course offers a holistic view of the essential facets of solder joint reliability together with the crucial “gamers” (e.g., manufacturing course of, PCB/part coating/floor end, solder alloys). Fundamentals in fatigue and creep injury mechanisms (through ductile, brittle, ductile-brittle fracture), and the probably solder joint failure modes (e.g., interfacial, near-interfacial, bulk, inter-phase, intra-phase, voids-induced, floor cracks) will likely be highlighted.
To face up to harsh environments, the strengthening metallurgy to optimize stress vs. pressure relationship and to additional improve fatigue and creep resistance will likely be outlined. The ability of metallurgy and its capacity to anticipate the relative efficiency will likely be illustrated by contrasting the comparative efficiency vs. metallurgical phases and microstructure.
The parameters to be thought-about to derive a common prediction mannequin and whether or not current life-prediction fashions can guarantee reliability will likely be highlighted.
A relative reliability rating amongst commercially obtainable solder techniques together with newer lead-free alloys (coined “Low Temperature Solder”), doped and different solder alloys, in addition to the scientific, engineering and manufacturing causes behind the rating will likely be outlined.
Attendees are inspired to deliver their very own chosen techniques for deliberation.
- Premise – what’s reliability? What are crucial gamers?
- Significance of solder alloy’s stress vs. pressure relationship vs. solder joint integrity;
- Solder joint fundamentals;
- Solder joint failures;
- Solder joint failure mechanisms – ductile, brittle, ductile-brittle transition fracture;
- Solder joint strengthening metallurgy;
- Solder joint voids vs. reliability – results, standards;
- Solder joint surface-crack –causes, results;
- Distinctions and commonalties between Pb-free and SnPb solder joints;
- Thermal biking situations – results on take a look at outcomes and take a look at outcomes interpretation;
- Testing solder joint reliability – discriminating/discerning parameters;
- Life-prediction mannequin vs. reliability;
- Solder joint efficiency in harsh environments;
- “Low Temperature Solder” and SnCu+ x, y, z and SnAgCu + x, y, z techniques with dopants;
- Finest practices and aggressive manufacturing.